Monday, November 26, 2007

Grand Central Something..!



218 years ago today on this day, the 26th Nov. 1789, President George Washington proclaimed the first national Thanksgiving Day. To celebrate this I thought I'd post one of my pictures that inc. both the world famous USA Flag and a favourite place of mine, Grand Central Station. A slight problem with this is that I found out today that it is not actualy called Grand Central Station but is in fact Grand Central Terminal....how stupid do I feel!

First built in 1871, 'that place' (as I'm going to call it now) soon became obsolete when steam locomotives were banned after a catastrophic train collision in 1902. In 1913 the new version of 'that place' opened but over the years it went into decline and it was not until 1994 that extensive renovations were started to restore that 'place' to its 1913 splendor....and I love it!

Anyway, I was trying to capture the splendour of GCT (as it will now be called) plus the movement of the people. You need a tripod (I'm told) to do this properly as you need a long exposure (slow shutter speed)...but what with Gillian spending all our money of shoes handbags I had to make do with resting the camera on top of a local vagrant...otherwise known as a Begger in the UK! Hope you like it.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good to hear from you Ian, these photos have real spirit. You make me want to go to Scotland and look up some of my ancestry. I'll have to work that out and have some Old Speckled Hen! But McSorely's is always good too. And by the way everybody, I'm the vagrant Ian is speaking of...

Angela said...

Love it Iain, if last week made me homesick for Scotland then this week reminds me why I love being here! You'll need to come back soon and take lots more. Love to you both xxxx

Gillian said...

Don't blame me for the lack of tripod money - you've given McSorley's much of it! Love this pic honey - one of my fav NY places. xx

Mary and John D said...

Love your pictures Iain, thanks to your wife I can now comment - won't that be fun??!

Stephen Gardner said...

nice one Iain, I'm a little late to this party. Good atmosphere.

iainbrydon said...

Thanks to you all for your visit and comments. New picture tomorrow and at some point I need to tell others about this site......but not yet!!